A side hall townhouse in the French Quarter was renovated throughout to accommodate a collection of mid-century furniture and contemporary photography. Though the original architecture was modified to open up the spaces, great effort was taken to mimic millwork in keeping with the original details. The original pine floors were re-finished with an ebony stain and multiple coats of high gloss lacquer to maximize reflection of light. After the original renovation, the owners’ photography collection began changing to include more large scale color photographs. In response, the color palette was in most cases neutralized so that the fabrics would not compete with the art. The house became a study of beiges, browns and blues to provide a serene backdrop to the collection and a peaceful refuge from the urban setting. Likewise, most of the mid-century furniture classics were replaced with 1930’s and 40’s furniture (Gilbert Rohde, Billy Haines and vintage Baker) with strong neoclassical undertones. The interiors became softer and, though still modern, more in keeping with the existing neoclassical architecture.